It’s a Crappy Job

snap12

What a year! What a job!

So, we get a nice offer on my listing at 9 Lilly Lane in San Carlos, and one night last week I get a call from the buyer’s agent who’s up at the property meeting his clients and a contractor. He has a couple of simple questions, which I easily answered…and then comes the big question. Seems that when he and the contractor opened the door on this vacant and staged home they were greated by a large surprise on the tile floor in the foyer. The agent explained to me that it was, in fact, poo poo. Excrement. Feces. On the floor in my vacant listing.

I was a little surprised. It’s not everyday in this business that someone calls to tell me that there’s a large pile of poop on the floor of one of my vacant listings. In fact, it’s happened….NEVER! Needless to say I wasn’t quite sure exactly what to say…but I did manage to blurt out, “Did you clean it up?” Always practical…that’s me! The answer was “Yes”, he did clean it up…before his buyers arrived (Thank God!)

It’s now official…2009 is the weirdest year in my 20 year career in Real Estate. The buyers agent posed a question…is anybody angry with the sellers that maybe we should know about? “Not to my knowledge”, I said. In fact, they changed the locks just prior to putting the home on the market. Fortunately, the lock box allows me to have a record of everyone who’s been in and out of the property using that device. Turns out that another agent was in…and brought his dog along! Unbeknownst to him, Fido went slightly astray whilst he was there and left the little (big) present on the tile floor. Ooops! The agent apologized.

Honestly….I was REALLY happy to find out it was a dog!  If it wasn’t a dog…what then?!? I realize it’s been a tough year, but JEEZ!

And you thought your job had strange issues!

Comments

1. I really like that photo. Would make a great campaign for “Taking Responsibility!” Where did you get the pic?

2. Jim – Ha!! That’s funny stuff. I’m sure it was a shock to you, but something you can laugh about now. I don’t think this has ever happened to me. I did open a vacant home in an upscale golf community this summer and was standing at the master bedroom window watching some gentlemen tee off, and as I turned to walk away noticed a large copperhead in the middle of the room. And he was alive! Needless to say, I stood VERY still (not even sure I took a breath) until my client came in. The husband was kind enough to kill the snak for me so I could leave the room. Whew. You’re right…this is a strange year indeed.

3. Good gravy I am laughing—- talk about surprises, did the agent that let his dog in apologize for the mess.

4. ANOTHER AGENT BROUGHT HIS DOG ALONG AND TOOK HIM INSIDE???????

I find that part unbelievable.

5. Richard Shuman says:

It never crossed my mind that it might not be a dog… GROSS!

Pretty irresponsible and unprofessional for a realtor to bring his dog into someone else’s house I don’t care how good the dog is.

6. Jason Simonson says:

LOL.

Gloria is right. The other agent let the dog in? Come on if Fi-doe. Hey boy what do you think of this place? Apparently he diden’t like it.

7. Gloria Green says:

LOL

I came to the same conclusion Jason – I thought the Agent needed a second opinion and got it.

8. Jim Crawford says:

I ask you…”Does it get any better than this?” What a funny looking photo.

9. Michael Gallo says:

I hope the agent with his pooch was only previewing the property. I love dogs but I wouldnt want my RE agent bringing along their dog. You are lucky it is a dog. I have a vacant rental property and I recently found out I might have and issue with people “hanging out” in it. Fun Fun Stuff.

10. Jim,

What you thought was a pile of poop might have been the appraisal!

Hey now…

11. Jim – I have had two listing appointments that included similar….dilemmas. Once, my business partner stepped in dog poop in the kitchen of a listing.

12. Dude… Congrats on the sale moving forward!

13. Cassi Miley says:

It sure looks like a crappy job! LOL.

14. YIKES! That is just crazy, Jim! How can anyone not know that their dog just pooped in a house, when it was right there in the foyer? I love my dog but would never even think about taking him inside a listing…just plain WRONG and inconsiderate in my book!
    I do love the picture though! He would be a good candidate for the Pet of the Month.
    Take care, my friend,
    Ronda

15. Amanda Smith says:

Love the picture! I can happily say I haven’t run into this problem yet, but there’s always tomorrow.

16. OttaBWorkin says:

Who is that marvelous pooch in the photo? Got get me one of those!

17. Sure hope you’re not going to carry on with the poop theme for the Funky Foto contest tomorrow. Although if you do, those Foster City geese would be serious contenders for the spotlight.

18. Love the photo. You’re right, this has been a very strange year. I’ve found many of my homes with left over….crap.

19. Dan Edwards says:

Man, that is wierd… I hope you sent that agent a nice gift!

20. Annette Merriman says:

Wow- Now I really have to wonder – what was that agent thinking to have the dog wandering about – and leaving a package for you? I know times are tough, but couldn’t the doggie have stayed in the car?

This year is strange – and often we are dealing with other agents ‘crap’ – congrats for the great attitude!

21. Perrin Cornell says:

Had a rattle snake in the living room once. I merely smiled and told the couple it was part of the security system.

But I think the poop beats that 😉